The Atlanta Community Food Bank invites students between the ages of 8-17 to participate in our second annual MLK Day Essay Contest! This is an amazing opportunity for students to share personal narratives dealing with individual experience and reflections on Dr. King's legacy. All participants will be recognized at our MLK Day of Service Essay Contest Ceremony on January 18, 2016, at 11:45 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Winners of the contest will read their essays aloud and will receive awesome cash prizes and plenty of Food Bank swag!
- Entry Form (second page) must be submitted with an essay.
- Youth only. Volunteer must be between the ages of 8-17.
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, place winners will be notified on 1/8 and will be invited to read their respective essay at the MLK Day Essay Contest Ceremony on 1/18.
- The essay must consist of no more than 400 words.
- Only one entry per volunteer.
- Contest winners will receive great prizes and lots of Food Bank swag!
Essay Questions (Please pick one):
1. In the Future of Integration speech at Oberlin College in 1965, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said, “The time is always right to do right.” Why is fighting to end hunger the right thing to do? How would you convince a friend, who does not think that the issue of hunger concerns them, that hunger impacts everyone?
2. At one time, Dr. King was able to rally 200,000 people to peacefully march for civil rights. How would you inspire a large number of people to help you end hunger in the community? How would you inspire people to volunteer for the Atlanta Community Food Bank?
3. In Martin Luther King’s 1964 Nobel Peace Prize address, he said, “There is nothing new about poverty. What is new, however, is that we have the resources to get rid of it.” What resources do you, your family/friends, your school or social group have that could help fight poverty and hunger?
MLK Essay Contest Ceremony
All participants will be recognized and awarded with certificates at the MLK Day Essay Contest Ceremony on January 18, 2016, from 11:45 a.m.-1:00 p.m. The event will take place at the Atlanta Community Food Bank (732 Joseph E. Lowery Blvd, NW, Atlanta, GA 30318) in Large Conference Room B. 1st, 2nd, and, 3rd place winners will be notified on January 8, 2016, and will be invited to read their respective essay during the ceremony.
Entry Deadline: Tuesday, January 4, 2016, by noon.
Please submit all entries to Stephanie Burton at firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 678-553-5985, or mail to
Attn: Stephanie Burton
Atlanta Community Food Bank
732 Joseph E. Lowery Blvd, NW
Atlanta, GA 30318.